Friday, 28 June 2013

Anti-slip paint...

Yet another week of taking it easy, we seem to have had a lot of them this year.

One job that needed doing while the weather was dry, the anti-slip paint. Wasn't too sure how this would turn out. We used Leyland floor paint from Screwfix and a small bag of grit from Midland Chandlers.

The area to be painted was masked off and Corinne applied the first coat while I followed behind sprinkling the grit over the wet paint. I had wondered about adding the grit to the paint before hand but decided I would have more control like this. When I started I could see Corinne's face and knew exactly what she was thinking "Oh no what have you done" I must admit I was leaning towards the same thoughts, but too late to go back.
After leaving the first coat to go tacky and applying more grit were it was thin. We applied a second coat of paint and it was looking pretty good. By the time we had finished it was looking great and just the finish we wanted.

Saturday, 22 June 2013

Lymm Historic Transport Festival...

A trip out today. Lymm Historic Transport Festival is tomorrow. We had planned on going to this but as I am still very sore and slow on the feet we decided to go today instead, fewer people to get in the way of. Anyway it turned out to be a nice walk past lots of very nice boats. Tomorrow should be good.

Friday, 21 June 2013

Back Home

Mark came home yesterday, he got the all clear. The X-ray and scan didn't show anything, but that's not to say there isn't another hole. We've been down that route before. He's got a follow up appointment in 4 months time with the surgeon. Apart from that he's up and about taking it easy and looking forward to his week off work.

Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Operation Day

Mark has had his surgery today, we got to the hospital at 8 this morning and he finally went into theatre at 2. After 2 hours he came out very sore (his throat and groin). He has to have a scan tomorrow because the surgeon thinks there may be another hole in his heart, so we are not out of the woods yet. Will keep you posted.

Saturday, 15 June 2013

Back working inside today...

The bulkhead doors and the end panels for the dinette were collected last week from the joinery shop so today has been spent fitting two of the doors and also fixing and plumbing in the basin and mixer tap, tomorrow we will test the basin for leaks and fit the remaining doors.
None of the plumbing or heating pipework has been pressure tested for leaks yet, I'm not confident or looking forward this, It could be a nightmare if it fails.

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Praying for dry weather...

Took a gamble last night and it paid off, the rain stayed away long enough for us to get the coach lines done and one side finished. We worked till late but it was worth it.

Monday, 10 June 2013

Sweltering heat...

Wow yesterday was hot, so hot in fact it stopped us from painting for a while, large areas at least. In the morning under direct sunshine we did under the gunwhales in the cratch and picked out the beads on the side hatch doors in red, very slow going.
By mid afternoon the side of the boat had cooled down very slightly so we attempted a start on the coachlines around where the name will be going, didn't do anymore painting after that as the paint was going off too fast.

Saturday, 8 June 2013

Yet another day of painting...

It's been another day of good weather but not as hot as we'd expected, pretty good for painting though. All the large areas are now finished and we can now concentrate on the finishing touches. Hoping to start on the cream coach lines tomorrow.

Friday, 7 June 2013

Painting Update...

It's been a good week mainly because we've managed to get down to the boat every night this week. Tonight's plan was to finish off the black borders to the remaining side, it turned out to be in direct sun making it very hot indeed and would have been impossible to paint, we ended up doing some fiddly bits instead and can do the borders tomorrow before the sun gets around to them.

Sunday, 2 June 2013

A very tiring day...

The rotten weather delayed us last week but today was warm and dry so we've painted the black borders to one side of the boat and done a bit more on the stern colour banding. We've also prepared and primed the bow floor ready for the floor paint.
Now it's feet up and a well deserved relax for the rest of the evening.